Tuesday finally happened, and that means the Nitendo Direct all about Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U has aired! While I didn’t get a good response to any of my hopefully included roster, Charizard was confirmed to be returning alongside the final evolution of the Pokemon X/Y Water-type starters: Greninja. Didn’t get to watch the Direct? No worries! Nintendo uploaded that shit right after it aired, and I’ve linked it here for you to enjoy.
Here’s a breakdown just in case you missed something.
- Super Smash Bros. 3DS releases in the summer of 2014. The Wii U version releases Winter 2014
- Each stage will be different depending on the system you play on
- The roster will be the same across both platforms
- Both the 3DS and Wii U versions will have online play with two different play modes
- Global rankings will be determined with the Global Smash Power ranking system
- Dark Samus and Waluigi got stuck as Assist Trophies instead of playable characters god fucking dammit
- Ridley got stuck as a stage hazard There are no more heroes left in man
- Zero Suit Samus and Sheik have been separated from Samus/Zelda and made into separate characters
- Kirby, King Dedede, Zelda, Yoshi, Lucario, Pit, and Olimar have been mechanically overhauled considerably. Other returning fighters have been touched up as well
- Mega Evolutions have been added as specials (Final Smashes?) for Lucario and Charizard
- Movesets can be customized with Custom Move Sets in certain game modes
- A game mode similar to Kirby Air Ride’s City Trials called Smash Run has been added for the 3DS version. Players run around an arena collecting powerups for an upcoming battle
Looking at all of the changes got me really excited to get my hands on SSB4; in fact, I’m picking up the 3DS version in the summer and will most likely end up getting it on the Wii U as well. Smash Bros. on the go with a 3DS is a nice experience, but something about Smash Bros. just begs to be played on the couch with your friends (within slapping distance of course). Can’t wait for the summer!
DARK SAMUS AND RIDLEY NOT BEING PLAYABLE MAKES ME GOD DAMN FURIOUS AAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Although Zero Suit Samus’ design doesn’t look half bad. The rocket high heels rub me oddly since I’d prefer rocket shoes-and-not-high-heels, but I’m not complaining.